Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a form of arthritis that affects the spine and causes pain as well as stiffness. This chronic illness, also known as Bechterew disease, typically begins in the lower back. It can spread to your neck and cause joint damage in other parts of your body. It’s a form of inflammatory arthritis that affects your spine primarily. The bones of the spine, known as vertebrae, may fuse after a while. The spine becomes rigid and less flexible as a result of this. AS can often influence your stance. For example, you could develop a hunched back.
Kyphosis is a term used by physicians to describe an irregular forward position of the upper spine. Treatment for spondyloarthritis varies depending on the type of spondyloarthritis. In psoriatic arthritis, both the skin and joint components must be treated. In enteropathic arthritis, medicines need to be changed to treat and not escalate the gastrointestinal portion of the disease.
Major Developments & Key Trends in Ankylosing Spondylitis Market
- The ankylosing spondylitis market is primarily driven by the increased use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as the initial line of treatment for the disease. Additionally, the introduction of advanced products such as biosimilars is turning out as a major booster for the growth of ankylosing spondylitis market growth.
- A rise in the prevalence of spondylitis due to increased usage of laptops, smartphones, and other electronic gadgets, a sedentary lifestyle, and lack of exercise fueled the market growth.
- Governments are investing heavily in extensive research in the healthcare field, especially giving more emphasis on the better cure of ankylosing spondylitis, which in turn, creating lucrative opportunities for the market players.
- North America led the market and had the largest market share, owing to the presence of well-established healthcare infrastructure, rapid developments in the healthcare industry, and rise in the incidence of ankylosing spondylitis,
- Based on drug insights, the Humira segment dominated the market and accounted for the largest revenue share of the market, on account of its high efficacy as well as its low cost compared to other drugs.
COVID-19 Impact on Ankylosing Spondylitis Market
The demand for ankylosing spondylitis medications has decreased since the Covid-19 spread in different parts of the world. Patient flow in hospitals has also decreased as a result of the ongoing pandemic. Treatment for other illnesses and injuries is de-prioritized as health care providers concentrate on emergency COVID-19 care. However, governments from different parts of the world are trying to increase the number of healthcare professionals to ensure the proper treatment for patients having other medical issues than COVID-19.
Competitive Outlook of the Ankylosing Spondylitis Market
Market players operating in the ankylosing spondylitis market are concentrating on the expansion of their product portfolio and establishing strategic alliances with other players to gain a competitive advantage. In the case of ankylosing spondylitis, the healthcare industry is shifting its focus to systematic research to keep up with the exponential growth through several innovations. The major players present in the ankylosing spondylitis market are Amgen, Inc., Eli Lilly, and Company, Novartis AG, AbbVie, Inc., Merck & Co., Inc. Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., and Pfizer, Inc.
Deep-dive Insights on Ankylosing Spondylitis Market by Polaris Market Research: https://www.polarismarketresearch.com/industry-analysis/ankylosing-spondylitis-market/request-for-sample